Wednesday, June 14, 2023

RIP, John Romita (1930-2023)

He was a great artist, but more than that, he was a great man!
John Romita has passed away at the age of 93.

He was the definitive Spider-Man artist (with all due respect to Spidey's co-creator, Steve Ditko). When I got into comics at the age of 11 in 1967, Stan Lee and John Romita's Amazing Spider-Man issue 51 (photo here) was one of my two entry points, given to me by my life-long pal, Steve Holmes.

The other photos here are from a Spider-Man 30th Anniversary event we did at Flying Colors back in 1992. John and his wife Virginia visited the shop for a signing and it was one of my favorite events in our now 35 year history.

John had a knack for making anyone feel so much better for having met him.
I'm happy to have known him if only a little bit. I was honored by the art gifts he gave me.

More than anything, the truly good people we meet along this road of life leave indelible impressions and make us better people than we were before knowing them. 


That's one heck of a legacy for John Romita... a great artist and a great man!


 
(Colorizing of photos supplied by my friend Bill Bishofberger)
 
 

 

No comments: