Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Q: Who Will Watch the WATCHMEN?

A: Millions, no doubt.

But I seriously doubt this one will have the "legs" that THE DARK KNIGHT had last summer.

I was among those who were invited to a late-night screening last Friday night/ Saturday morning of the film adaptation of the Alan Moore/ Dave Gibbons graphic novel WATCHMEN.

This movie is the first R-rated "super-hero" movie (WANTED was a super-villain movie, after all).

And it's a true 'R'--- as the source material was. I mention this because I think there will be a lot of parents being asked by their kids to take them to see this new "super-hero" movie. And all parents really need to know this movie was definitely not made for kids. Proceed with knowledge and caution.

For adults, it's a wild and stylish movie--- it's directed by Zach "300" Snyder, after all. It's mostly faithful to the original graphic novel with some shots almost lifted straight from Dave Gibbons' cinematic art in the original.

No spoilers here. Most of the readers of this blog have probably already made up their minds about whether they'll see it or not. I really wanted to post this to ask you in advance to post your thoughts about this movie (and the graphic novel) in the comments section here.

And if you would like me to play spoiler for you, come on in to Flying Colors for your new comics and other cool stuff and I'll give you the full low-down.

Peace!

FlyCoJoe

[Update: Randy Myers from the Contra Costa Times has reviewed "WATCHMEN". To read his review, go HERE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As much as I want it to go down as the greatest comic book movie of all time, it probably won't even come near Spider-Man 3 box office numbers. But I still can't wait to see it!

Lance Christian Johnson said...

I saw it on Friday with three other people. Two of us (including myself) had read the comic, and the other two had not. We all wound up liking it quite a bit.

Personally, I was expecting to be disappointed on at least some level, and perhaps by lowering the bar like that, I found myself pleasantly surprised, as it was about as good of a movie as one could make with that source material. (As others have pointed out, it probably would have worked even better as an HBO miniseries.)

As for the changes, obviously some things had to be left out, but most of my favorite moments were still in there. And regarding the end, I don't really think it's all that different. The point is still the same, even though the means are different. (Hopefully that's vague enough not to spoil anything.)

What I was most pleased with is that it really got across the same feeling in the end as the comic did. I wasn't entirely sure for whom I was supposed to be rooting. My friend who had not read the comic felt the same way, and I think that's one of the most important aspects of the story.

Lee Hester said...

I liked it, Joe, and I usually don't like Super-hero movies.

I thought it was stylish, interesting and thoughtful.

Regards,

Lee