Thursday, December 08, 2005

Stranded in Dana Point



I took the photo you see here at the beach house my in-laws had at Dana Point in Orange County, California sometime in the mid- '80s.

Their beach "house" was actually a trailer home they owned and parked on a leased space on the cliffs over-looking Doheny State Park beach in a development called The Dana Strand. It's one of my favorite places on earth and it also serves as the desk-top screen saver on all three of my Macs. This is the place I go to in my mind when I need a mental vacation.

Sadly, in the late '80s, the land owners of this glorious stretch of coastline kicked out all the trailer owners with designs on building a luxury hotel. Environmental impact reports and politics have delayed the new development for the past 16 years, leaving a blighted dump look to what once was a wonderful little community. Progress--- ugh!

Now that I've figured out how to post pictures to this blog (thanks, Alan!), I'd thought this oasis would be a cool place to start.

More comics' news soon!

Surfer Joe
(Ha!)

No comments: