Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Long-term Graphic Novel Best-Sellers & More Thoughts on FlyCo's Murky Future

At the start of every New Year, I take a look back to see what’s working and what’s not working in the hopes of improving our shop here. As many of you already know, 2024 will be a year of BIG changes for Flying Colors.


Our current lease expires in January 2025 and that will mean Flying Colors will not be in Concord’s Oak Grove Plaza after that. In the weeks and months ahead, we (and by ‘we’ I mean Libby and me along with our family, our FlyCo Retailing Brigade, as well as some of FlyCo Faithful) will be discussing options for the future of Flying Colors Comics.

A move to a different location will be expensive! The cost of the move for us at a time when many people our age are already well into retirement will definitely be a consideration. Your continued support of our shop is super critical at this time!


Please know it is our Top Priority to find a way to continue this business— our mini-community of Flying Colors— in another location. Our preference is to still be in Concord as I am pleased with how the City has supported small businesses here and how they’ve been good about shining the light on what Flying Colors brings to the community. Libby and I are also a proud citizens of the City of Concord, so that factors into the decision, too.

All that said, whatever happens, I hope to ease up at least a bit on the time I dedicate to Flying Colors. In March, Libby and I will have our first week-long vacation since 2019… and the last five years have seen us mostly working six days a week at 50-60 hours a week. That hasn’t left us with much time to spend with family and friends.

Also, as plans develop for the future of the shop, we want keep you informed. 

So please stay tuned to this blog and our social media accounts— Flying Colors Comics on Facebook, @FlyCoJoe on Instagram and Twitter (X). Also, please sign up for our Infrequent Flyer email newsletter. We don't send emails often, but you don't want to miss the ones we do send. 

============================

Now, about the Best Sellers list here:
(Click on the list to see it better)


Recently I posted Flying Colors 2023 Best Selling Comics and Graphic Novels

After doing that, I thought it might be eye-opening to take a longer view. So here’s a list generated from our Best Sellers since we went to a computerized inventory management and “point of sale” system. 

We went live with that system on March 1, 2012… so this list comprises our Best Selling Graphic Novels from that date until the end of 2023, almost 12 full years and many many thousands of graphic novels later.

My hope is you’ll look over the list, maybe share this post with friends and hopefully find something new to read. After all, with the amount sold at Flying Colors of each of these books, that’s a vote of confidence for just how entertaining and engaging these books are.

Peace ’n’ Comics!
And here’s to some Really Good News for FlyCo Faithful in 2024!

Joe “FlyCoJoe” Field

7 comments:

Kaiclubbe@gmail.com said...

Joe, Libby, and family,

I'm sorry to hear about the lease, but glad to hear you're taking a bit of time to yourselves. You know you're the best and I'll always support you.

Cheers,
-Kai

Stephen McGuire said...

After all the time at that location…I mean…I first walked into that store in 1988! I would assume the landlords would wanna keep you there!

Anonymous said...

David Hall(Dad Hall)
I walked into Flying Colors on the day they opened. I had been collecting comics for years and was hard pressed to find a local comic book shop. This store brought me back to my childhood when I all cared about was Batman, Spider-man, Daredevil and all the other super heroes. Joe and his family became a mainstay in my life and still are to this day. My heart goes out to all of you .

Anonymous said...

I am so sad to hear about your lease and F.C. future.
Unfortunately, I have seen alot of this lately. Landlords getting greedy. Hoping
for a cash cow tenant. It doesn't always work that way.

I've enjoyed your store as it always was a go to for shopping. I look forward to what happens to you next.

Matt Poulos

Anonymous said...

I will support you wherever you move to. I always said flying colors comics shop is one of my happy place. You are a wonderful person. I always loved and respected you. Enjoyed shopping comics at one of the most happy place next to Disney land.
Take care and stay safe.

Anonymous said...

I remember little me walking from monument to flying colors when you opened. I watched for weeks as things were being brought in before opening.
Comic books changed everything for me that day. I was able to share comics with my son for years. He’s the one who dresses up as Peter Parker. We are all sad. That’s two generations of flying faithfuls.
We hope to see a new location.

Sharyl Dean said...

I love your store, and I'm sorry that corporate greed is forcing you out. I hope you find a great new spot for when you move. Flying Colors is legendary, and if the mall owners were smart, they'd do what is necessary to keep you there.