Been a crazy day here and we've only been open for a couple of hours. Why? Because of the total frenzy surrounding the release of Amazing Spider-Man #583, featuring a back-up story in which Spider-Man meets Barack Obama on Inauguration Day.
Here are my answers to your Frequently Asked Questions about this particular comic book:
1) Right now, we still have copies of the Obama variant cover, but they will not last the rest of today. [Note: As of 2:00PM, all of the Obama covers are gone, but we still have first printing Amazing Spider-man #583s with the regular cover]
2) No, we are not taking reservations for the remaining copies we have in stock. If we did, there wouldn't have been any left for the many people coming into the store today. By not accepting reservations, we are trying to be fair in getting as many copies as we have to as many different readers as possible.
3) Yes! We are taking advance orders for the Obama cover edition with a different color background that will hopefully be arriving next Wednesday January 21, the day after Inauguration Day. [Update: Marvel Comics has announced that the 2nd printing Obama cover is now sold out from the publisher level. Flying Colors is still taking orders for this issue!]
4) No, this comic book will not "put your kids through college in another 20 years." It's a fun little tie-in to a presidential inauguration, not a financial annuity.
If we depended solely on the collectability of comics, there's no way Flying Colors would have lasted more than 20 years here in Concord.
5)While I am grateful that Marvel Comics was able to get tons of publicity about the release of this issue, I am not so happy with the major hoops that the Marvel company asks its retailers to jump through to try to satisfy our many customers.
6) Flying Colors has a ton of other great comics and graphic novels in stock for readers of all ages and interests. Comics are an entertainment medium first, last and always.
Peace 'n' Cool Comics!